What does a typical day look like at the preschool?
- Circle – large group activities
- Center time/free play
- Physical activity – outdoors or indoors
- Snack – provided by preschool
- Full day children eat lunch and rest time
Is there any type of enrichment to the curriculum?
- Our music teachers visit each of the classes monthly for a half hour of music.
- Our yoga teacher meets with each three and four year old class monthly.
- iPads are available to the classes as well as SMART Boards in the four year old classrooms.
Is Castleton Hill a licensed preschool?
Licensed by the NYC Department of Health, the preschool is required to follow all of the regulations of Article 47 of the Health Code including:
- Teacher qualifications: Teachers hold a NYS license in early childhood education
- Appropriate teacher/child ratios
o 2 year old classes: 1 teacher & 1 teacher assistant to no more than 12 children
o 3 year old classes: 1 teacher & 1 teacher assistant to no more than 16 children
o 4 year old classes: 1 teacher & 1 teacher assistant to no more than 18 children
Castleton Hill Moravian is a Christian preschool: What does that mean?
- The Moravian Church is the oldest Protestant denomination in the world. As a Christian church all of the sacraments are practiced such as baptism, communion, marriage and confirmation.
- Your child will be exposed to Christian values and will say prayers, participate in celebrating Christian holidays and attend devotions once a month in church. Parents will be invited to join their child periodically.
Do you offer Universal Prekindergarten (UPK)?
Yes. UPK ½ day sessions for four year old children is offered from 8:30-11:00am five days a week. An optional Wraparound program is available and is tuition based. Families currently enrolled in the preschool have the opportunity to preregister by completing a Preregistration Request. New families will be waitlisted for any remaining seats.
What family activities are available?
- Families are an important part of our preschool. Teachers and administration are available for parent conferences as well as day-to-day communications.
- Opportunities for parents to be involved include:
– Parent orientation.
– Parent-Teacher Conferences to discuss your child’s developmental portfolio.
– A visit during a typical day to the class may be arranged with your child’s teacher.
– Parenting Workshops.
- Family events such as the Halloween Walk, Christmas Sing, Easter Egg Event, Family Picnic Family Worship, Church Services, Mother’s Day and Mystery Readers.
What are the procedures to keep my child safe?
Safety is the highest priority for each child.
- All doors in the building are locked and alarmed.
Parents/caregivers and guests are buzzed into the preschool.
- Children are only released to an adult who is listed on the emergency card completed by parent. A picture ID is required to be shown.
- Safety drills such as fire drills, emergency evacuations drills are practiced regularly.
What if my child won’t separate from me?
In September, the children will come to class on a shortened schedule with smaller groups in class. The classes are then extended slowly until it reaches the full schedule with all the groups combined. We also allow one parent to remain in the classroom on the first day for the 3 year old program, and the first week in the 2 year old program. If your child is still having a difficult time separating, the teacher will work with you on an individual basis.
Does my child need to be toilet trained?
Two and three year old children are not required to be toilet trained. However if they have a bowel movement during class someone must be available to change your child’s diaper.
When can I register my child for September 2017?
Open Registration begins on Saturday, February 4th, 2017, from 9:00 – 11:00 am on a first come, firts served basis. On that day you will need to fill out and sign a registration form and make a payment of one month’s tuition plus a $35.00 registration fee payable by check or cash.
Will the classes already be full on that day?
Morning classes generally do fill up more quickly, but if you are flexible, you will not have a problem registering. If your program is full, your child’s name will be placed on a wait list.
If I need to withdraw my child, do I lose my tuition deposit?
The advance tuition payment is non-refundable, but it will remain in your account for one year as a credit and will be available to use the following school year for the same child or sibling.
Are there any other fees required?
No, just tuition and a one-time registration fee. A Castleton Hill shirt and yearbook will be given to your child.
What should I do if I have more questions?
Whenever you have a question, concern or suggestion, just call the preschool office at 718-442-5350. The preschool director, administrative staff or teachers will be happy to help – either now, or when you become a member of the Castleton Hill Moravian Preschool family.